Thursday, September 24, 2009

Color Wheel


My friend, Nancy, is another gifted artist. She recently sent me the information about a class she is taking on color and posted her color wheel on her blog. It reminded me of doing my first color wheel - in my early 40s! I may just have to get some paints and do some more just for fun.

When I did the first wheel, the instructor came over and remarked how unusual my colors were. I said that they were most likely the same as everyone else's - until I looked around at other wheels. I was startled to see how pale some people saw color and how vibrantly I did. I kind of felt sorry for some of the students - color is so intense for me. It's like intense fragrance, intensely flavored food, intense feelings.

Intense - very descriptive of this 7 year old witch!

Here's something that Georgia O'Keefe said, which I like:

I know I cannot paint a flower. I cannot paint the sun on the desert on a bright summer morning, but maybe in terms of paint color I can convey to you my experience of the flower or the experience that makes the flower of significance to me at that particular time.

~Georgia O'Keefe~

4 comments:

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Kathy, Thank you for mentioning me in your fabulous blog! It doesn't surprise me that your color wheel was the most most vibrant and intense in the class. This is in keeping with your colorful, and delightful personality! You are a rare and vibrant jewel!!! Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful thoughts and observations!! Looking forward to seeing more!

Delphyne said...

Thank you, Nancy - you are too kind! xoxo

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Hey , I think you're an artist :D
I just saw a TV movie about Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz. It was well done.

Delphyne said...

Thanks, Mary - I just stopped by your blog and like what I see!

I caught some of that movie about Georgia - I'll have to see if I can stay awake long enough to catch the entire thing. She was quite a woman.