Monday, September 21, 2009

Leftovers are good!



I rarely throw food out - why, when you can make up something really good with the leftovers?

I love Mexican food and miss the great Mexican restaurants in the West. The downside - and the upside - to having few good restaurants in the area is that I get to cook it myself. Some of the easiest things to make are tacos - not those hard shell things from Taco Bell - but home made ones.

I only use the corn tortillas - I've never liked the flour ones and now that I'm on a gluten free diet, I can't eat them. But I love corn tortillas; I steam mine, but they also can be lightly fried. And they can be stuffed with all sorts of things. Like leftovers!

This afternoon for lunch, I had one of those "leftover" tacos. I had the following leftovers on hand in the refrigerator - corn, onion and red pepper saute; center cut boneless pork chop; homemade guacamole. I heated up the corn saute with the pork, which I cut into small pieces. To that, I added some jalapeno, finely diced and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped. I let that cook and then added some prepared Tex-Mex spice mixture.

When the flavors all melded together, I put the mixture onto 2 steamed corn tortillas and topped that with some of the guacamole, fresh cilantro, a few shakes of Louisiana hot sauce and some nonfat plain Chobani Greek yogurt (which tastes like sour cream!), folded the tortillas over and enjoyed my lunch.

Yum. Leftover can be delicious and used creatively!

No comments: