Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I am but a leaf



I Am But A Leaf

Autumn is so beautiful.

Summer came to an end
How do I know? Here comes the wind.
All the leaves are falling down...
Rain, silver and clean comes calling.
I can see the branches
Twist and bend.
I am just a leaf
And I shouldn't mind...
But once off my tree
It's so hard to find...
Somewhere else to call my home...
I feel so alone...
Guess I can just go and rest
By the great mountain of stone.
Autumn is my favorite time of year
Because I am admired and I turn to gold.
And since summer's so hot and I dry up fast,
I prefer the cold.
I love the rain as it patters upon my tree,
And when the wind uproots me
I sail free!
I can roll along the meadows
Or slip down along the street,
Stay around long enough
To hear the autumn rain's beat.
What becomes of me
At autumn's untimely end?
I fly away, fly away
Awhirl in autumn's wind!

4 comments:

Lyon said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Really. Beautiful.

Delphyne said...

Thanks, Lyon - I hope you are faring well with all that is going on! Take care...

dreaming in maine said...

Really lovely. I love the word "awhirl" :)

Delphyne said...

Yes, awhirl is so poetic and visual! Good to see you (unable to post on your blog).