Thursday, December 3, 2009

Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe - Tonantzin



I have been over to Rebecca's site and made a few comments about her work (worth a peek).  Her most current image, that of a tattooed arm with an image of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe  prompted a comment from me about this image being widely seen in California, how my Auntie Anne, a devout Catholic, was delighted that I was born on the feast day of La Senora - which jogged my memory about Tonantzin, "our dear Mother," Aztec Goddess and that reminded me of this fabulous mosaic mural in San Francisco.

This mosaic is stunning.  It was created by Colette Crutcher, who I read is part of Coro Hispano de San Francisco, a choral group specializing in antique music and instruments from Mexico, Spain and other Spanish speaking countries.  I had the privilege of seeing a couple of their concerts when I lived in the Bay Area - very wonderful.

So this post is really a nostalgic trip down memory lane, making me more than a little homesick for a place I lived for 30 years.  I think I'll have to cook up some Mexican comfort food, another thing I miss terribly.   There simply is no restaurant in NJ where I have found authentic Mexican food.  At least one can find corn tortillas now - when I was back  here in 1976, corn tortillas could only be found in a CAN - in NYC!  What a shock that was for me!

The images of Tonantzin are from here and here.  Colette's website with this image can be found here and Coro Hispano's website can be found here.  If you have any interest at all in Mexican art and culture, these sites are worth exploring.

 

8 comments:

Manon said...

Wow!! This is truly an incredible piece!! I'm so impressed!! Thanks for sharing.

Jasmine said...

Amazing works. I'll e over to visit your friend soon. Thank you x

rebecca said...

thank you for this. stunning!!!
love your auntie stories too.
i am ready for more!

Delphyne said...

I'm happy everyone liked the mosaic - it's one of my favorites from color to design to texture to subject.

Ruthie Redden said...

Oh my, this is beautiful, i love the colours!

Delphyne said...

Thanks, Dan and Ruthie - this piece is very special.

Nancy B. Hartley said...

I love the art on this post, just stunning. I don't know if you have ever seen the wonderful artwork of Nikki de Saint Phalle. It is very similar to this artist. If you have not had a chance to see her artwork, please, take a few minutes to look her up online. I know that you will love it!

Delphyne said...

I've never heard of that artist, Nancy, but will look her up later on to see her works - will email you later, too!