Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mangoes

Mangoes
Mangoes,
originally uploaded by Delphyne49.
I got interested in mangoes this year by way of Silver Tequila.

You see, I decided to cook a big Mexican meal when my sisters Jane and Lori came for dinner. I wanted to make a tropical kind of cocktail to go with the meal and found a recipe for an interesting one in the Herb Companion magazine. It called for Silver Tequila and St. Germaine liqueur, neither one of which I knew anything about since I only drink wine. (You'll hear more about St. Germaine later!) The meal was great - mole chicken poblano, black bean cakes, Mexican style rice, home made guacamole, chips and cocktails. And, of course, wine with dinner.

Now the question was, what do I do with the rest of the Silver Tequila.

Sleuthing around the internet, I found a great recipe for lime mango sorbet and it called for tequila. Not specifically Silver Tequila, but that's what I had on hand and that's what I used. And have been using. I cannot remember where I found the recipe and offer my apologies to the author for no citation or link.**

Lime Mango Sorbet

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
Zest of 1 lime (or more to taste)

3 ripe mangoes, about 2 1/2 lbs.
1/2 cup lime juice
Pinch of salt
3 Tbs. tequila

Method:

Heat sugar, water and lime zest in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Let cool.

Cut flesh from that weird mango pit; peel, dice and put into food processor with lime juice and the pinch of salt. Process until the mango is a smooth pulp. Pour mango puree into mixing bowl and add the sugar water; use one of those immersion stick blenders* to combine them. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator until completely cold.

Mix in the tequila and pour into ice cream maker, processing according to manufacturer's instructions. Freeze in container - makes about a quart and a half.
Link
* The first time I tried this recipe, I put everything into the food processor and the mixture leaked all over the counter - messy, messy, messy. I decided there had to be a better way and using the immersion stick blender was it for me.

**I remembered! Found at Elise's place.

No comments: