Wednesday, August 19, 2009

St. Germain

A qausi spiritual post about this guy?

Nope.

About this. You might be feeling like quite the ascended master after a few drinks, though.

I bought this to make cocktails for a couple of my sisters when they had dinner here. That was one night and 3 cocktails. I had no idea what to do with the rest of the bottle since the only alcohol that I drink is wine.

One day, while making a fruit salad, my inner alchemist got the idea of incorporating this liqueur into the fruit salad. Its aroma is so delicate and flowery; I thought it would be a good addition to the fruit.

So into the bowl of many different fruits ~ fresh pineapple, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, kiwi, to name a few ~ went a couple of kinds of fresh mint, pineapple sage and lemon verbena from my garden (chopped quite finely), superfine sugar to taste, a squeeze of fresh lime and/or lemon or orange to taste and the last but not least, the St. Germain.

I tasted it.

More St. Germain.

Tasted again.

Still needed more St. Germain.

Tasted it once again.

Oh, what the heck, put a little bit more of the stuff in there - what else are you going to use it for?

Now, it was good; I liked it. And I had a slight buzz after all of that tasting.

I asked a neighbor to taste it. She asked, "Can I have some more?"

I asked another sister to taste it (I have 6 of them, by the way) and she simply stopped, closed her eyes and uttered, "This could make you famous. Did you write down the recipe?"

Of course, I hadn't. I made it up as I went along. I didn't measure anything and still don't.

Happy to share it if you like the idea of an adult fruit salad.

PS - I just saw that Elise has a recipe for Elderberry jelly and some links to sites for making Elderberry syrup and liqueur (from the berries, not the flowers).

3 comments:

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Kathy, you're making me hungry. This sounds fabulous. I've never heard of St. Germain liquour. It has to be delicous!!

Shelly said...

Hahahaha! I want to be at YOUR house when you make food! You do it in such a fun way! :) YUM!

Delphyne said...

Nancy, definitely try it! I saw a small bottle at the store a couple of weeks ago - like those little bottles you used to get on airplanes (any maybe still do!). It's mild enough for the fruit salad and I think you would like it. I haven't figured out how else to use it, though!

Shelly, you're welcome ANY TIME in my kitchen!