Saturday, August 29, 2009

Redwood Tree

Click on picture to enlarge it.

Oh redwood tree

Please let us under
When we were young we used to go
Under the redwood tree

And it smells like rain
Maybe even thunder
Won’t you keep us from all harm
Wonderful redwood tree

~Lyrics from Redwood Tree, Van Morrison~

In 1976, when I visited NJ from the Bay Area, I brought back a Redwood tree for my father. The wrong kind, of course - I brought back the Coastal Redwood rather than the Giant Sequoia Redwood. The former doesn't experience snow whereas the latter does. The former grows on the coast of California and the latter in the interior places like Kings Canyon, Yosemite and Sequoia National Park (of course!). And yet, the tree that grows on the coast of California is still here and growing in New Jersey. With all of the cold and snow. Much hardier than I ever imagined.

Right now, with all of the rain and humidity, the tree is LOVING it! The picture is of the bark of the tree taken yesterday - I was trying to get a picture of the raindrop, but everything I took looks like an abstract painting of some sort! However, I did like the colors - and so I am posting it here.

No comments: