Monday, September 14, 2009

Hawai'ian Lullaby

Rose of Sharon peeking through the hedge

Looking at this flower brings to mind Hawai'i.  I've never been to any of the islands, but have always loved the music and dance from there.  Years ago, I took Hawai'ian dance lessons at the local rec center in California. The teacher was a good one - she told us that one dances the words in Hawai'ian dance, so we had to learn a lot of the words and their meanings, along with the dance movements.

During the class, she offered to give us all Hawai'ian names or we could pick something we liked.  I wanted a name that had something to do with the sweet fragrance of flowers.  However,  she insisted on giving me a name, rather than letting me choose one.  Traditionally, it is the dance teacher - kumu - who bestows the name, basing it on her/his observation of the student.  I tend to ask a ton of questions when I am interested in something and/or learning something I enjoy.    So, the teacher bestowed the name Ka'imi to me - it means the seeker or the searcher.

Keali'i Reichel is a musician and Kumu Hula from Hawai'i - I love his music.  Here is one of my favorites - Maile's Song or Hawai'ian Lullaby.  First the lyrics and then the You Tube.
He nani lua ‘ole
Ku’u wehi o nâ lani
He kilohana ‘oe
Na’u e pûlama mau
Ho’olu i ka poli e
Mehana i ke anu e.

I can smile when it’s raining
And touch the warmth of the sun
I hear children laughing
In this place that I love.

Mau loa ke aloha
i ko pu’uwai hâmama
He u’i lani ‘oe
Na’u e mâlama mau
Aia i ka la’i e
Hemolele i ka mâlie.

I can smile when it’s raining
And touch the warmth of the sun
I hear children laughing
In this place that I love.

No comments: