Sunday, October 25, 2009

Last of the mosquitos

Click on image to enlarge it.

Familiar whine in my ear
You settle on my forearm
Prepare to pierce my skin with your proboscis
I raise my had to strike

Wait!
What if I let you complete the cycle?
You might feed the songbird
Who cheers my day.

You larvae might feed the minnow
Who feeds the fingerling
Who feeds the pike
Who feeds me.

You might be a meal
For the brown bat
Whose guano fertilizes
Tomatoes for my salad.

SMACK!
But not today.

~Deborah K. Frontiera~

6 comments:

Jasmine said...

I love this poem, made me smile. I think I'll show it to my mam :)

Delphyne said...

I was laughing when I found the poem online - I had no idea people wrote poetry about mosquitos! Hope you mom likes it, too! xoxo

kerrdelune said...

I love the photo, and the poem - it has been a few weeks since we have seen a mosquito this far north!

Delphyne said...

We've had some mild weather lately, so the few remaining mosquitoes and crickets make themselves known.

Thanks so much for stopping by, Cate! I enjoy your blog tremendously...

Shelly said...

Great poem! Made me laugh out loud and have Casey ask, "What?" :)

Delphyne said...

It is a funny poem, isn't it, Shelly! I, too, laughed when I read it.